Pro Android 2 shows you how to build real-world and fun mobile applications using Google’s Android SDK. This book covers everything from the fundamentals of building applications for embedded devices to advanced concepts such as custom 3D components.
* Discover the design and architecture of the Android SDK, and how to build mobile applications using the Android SDK.
* Explore and use the Android APIs, including those for media and Wi-Fi.
* Learn about Android 2.0’s integrated local and web search, h
andwriting gesture UI, Google Translate, and text-to-speech features.
With Android and this book, you’ll be able to build mobile applications ranging from games to Google apps, including add-ons to Google Docs. You’ll be able to extend and run the new Google Chrome APIs on the G1, the G2, and other next-generation Google phones and Android-enabled devices.
What you’ll learn
* How to use Android to build Java-based mobile applications for Google phones with a touch screen or keyboard (thanks to Cupcake’s inclusion as of Android 1.5)
* How to design and architect using Google’s Android SDK
* How to use the Android SDK to write mobile applications for embedded devices
* How to create 3D graphics with OpenGL and custom components
* How to build multimedia and game apps using Android’s Media APIs and OpenGL
* How to use Android’s location-based services, networking (Wi-Fi APIs), and security
* How to create and allow for more integrated local and web searches
* How to build handwriting gesture UIs
* How to incorporate Google Translate into your Android applications