1-1 Router eSIM™ Student Version 1.1 FAQ Copyright 2001, Cisco Systems, Inc
Student Version 1.1
1-2 Router eSIM™ Student Version 1.1 FAQ Copyright 2001, Cisco Systems, Inc
Changes in Router eSIM™ Student Version 1.1
Router eSIM™ Changes:
1. The output of show protocols now also displays subnet mask
2. When using the telnet feature, the prompt did not change to the
hostname of the router. Instead, the hostname was erroneously
returned as “Lab_A.” This IP host problem has been corrected.
3. The numeric keypad functionality has now been implemented to
work on all Windows and Macintosh platforms.
4. The “show interface” command will now display the description that
you configured on an interface.
5. A problem with login on telnet sessions has been fixed. By default,
the login function should be off and will allow a telnet session
without a password being set.
6. Previously, Router eSIM was checking the VTY password for
console access which caused a login problem when you only
configured the password and login function for "line con 0," and not
for "vty 0 4." This has been corrected.
1. The following frequently asked questions were added to the FAQ:
• Why do I get this error message when I run Router eSIM™
Student Version? (Question 2)
• Why does the Router eSIM™ Student Version only use the US
keyboard layout? (Question 3)
• Why do I get an invalid input message when I try to enter the
command interface serial 1? (Question 22)
• Are the times that are returned in the ping and trace route
command accurate? (Question 30)
2. The following frequently asked question was removed from the
• How do the Router eSIM™ Student Version commands differ
from those used on routers?
While the correct command is "clock rate 56000",
"clockrate 56000" is also accepted by Cisco IOS. Router
eSIM™ now supports both commands.
1-3 Router eSIM™ Student Version 1.1 FAQ Copyright 2001, Cisco Systems, Inc
Router eSIM™ Student Version FAQ
Router eSIM™ Student Version is a product designed for the Cisco Networking
Academy Program to supplement lab work by giving you the opportunity to practice
router commands without being connected to a router.
The following are answers to frequently asked questions about the Router eSIM™
1. Are all IOS commands supported by Router eSIM™
Router eSIM™ Student Version supports most but not all IOS
commands needed to complete semester 2 activities. If a command is
issued that is not supported by the program, a “pop-up” dialog box
will appear indicating that this simulation does not support the
2. Why do I get this error message when I run Router eSIM™
Router eSIM™ Student Version is created with Macromedia Flash.
When the Flash Player is executing a one-frame ActionScript and
takes longer than 15 seconds to do so, it will ask you to decide
whether to abort the script or not. This is just an alert and not an error
message. If you click "No," the script will still be executed properly.
Slower computers are likely to display this alert.
3. Why does the Router eSIM™ Student Version only use the US
Router eSIM™ Student Version is created with Macromedia Flash
which may misinterpret keystrokes on non-English keyboards. If this
happens, you may need to switch your keyboard settings to a US
keyboard layout. To do so, follow these steps:
1-4 Router eSIM™ Student Version 1.1 FAQ Copyright 2001, Cisco Systems, Inc
• From the "Start Menu," select "Settings" and then
• Double click "Keyboard," which will open the
"Keyboard Properties" window.
• Select the "Input Locales" tab and then "Add ..."
This will open the "Add Input Locale" window.
• Under "Input Locale:," select "English (United
• Under "Keyboard layout/IME:," select "United
• While running Router eSIM™, make sure that
"English (United States)" is selected on the taskbar.
For more information, see:
• From the "Apple Menu," select "Control Panels" and
• On the "Keyboard" control panel, under "Keyboard
Layouts," check "U.S."
• While running Router eSIM™, make sure that "U.S." is
selected on the "Keyboard Menu," in the main menu bar.
4. What other features are not supported by Router eSIM™ Student
Among the features that Router eSIM™ Student Version does not
support are Access Lists, the interface up/down status messages, and
copying to and from a TFTP server.
5. What common commands are not supported by Router eSIM™
Among the commands that Router eSIM™ Student Version does not
support are the extended ping command, the show sessions command,
and the reload command. (See Appendix A for supported commands.)
6. Can the labs be done using the Router eSIM™ Student Version?
Many of the labs can be done using Router eSIM™ Student Version.
However, since some commands are not supported, you will still need
1-5 Router eSIM™ Student Version 1.1 FAQ Copyright 2001, Cisco Systems, Inc
to have access to the router lab in your school to complete all the labs.
(See Appendix B for labs that are supported.)
7. Does the Router eSIM™ Student Version support RIP updates?
Student Version only supports RIP updates within the
context of the standard five-router environment of the Cisco
Networking Academy Program. Other addressing schemes will be
accepted but the routing tables will not be updated and the interactive
commands such as Ping, Traceroute, and Telnet will not function
8. Does the help command display all possible commands?
The help command does not display all commands of the help
9. How does the simulation differ from a Windows HyperTerminal
Unlike a real Windows HyperTerminal application, the simulation
uses “CiscoTerminal” that does not let you click on the space above
or below the button in the scroll bar. Instead, click the scroll bar
arrows (up and down) or drag the sliders or scrolls. To close the
simulation, click on the exit button in the lower left hand corner of
10. Are there limitations of the Telnet command?
The Telnet command will only function from the active router. If you
try to change to another router’s console connection, by clicking on
the “Router Buttons” located on the left-hand side of the screen, all
existing Telnet sessions for the first router will be closed.
11. Why are some prompts different from those generated by
While the current version of Router eSIM™ Student Version is a
stand-alone executable program, there may also be browser-based
uses of the tool in .swf format. To accommodate those situations, the
prompt displayed in the configuration mode has been adjusted to
compensate for browsers that do not support the sequence Ctrl + Z to
exit the mode. Instead of displaying “end with CTRL/Z”, the
prompt displays “end with END.” While CTRL/Z is supported,
under certain configurations it does not work properly. We have
added the “end with END” in order to allow for those situations.
12. Sometimes when I type in a command, it does not display
immediately. Why does this happen?